Before applying for a funding opportunity, you need to register an account with Grants.gov. Whether you are an applicant for an organization or an individual applying for grants on your own, you only need to register one account on Grants.gov. The Grants.gov registration process can be completed in minutes.
Once you have a Grants.gov account, users may add a profile to associate with an applicant organization and use the My Account features to manage one or more profiles within your account. If you already have a Grants.gov account, you do not need to register another account.
After adding a profile, learn about how roles are authorized for profiles and how to track your roles status. Note: If your organization is new to federal grants or Grants.gov, review the Organization Registration page.
How to Register a Grants.gov Account
- Click the Register link in the top-right corner of the Grants.gov banner.
- Click the Get Registered Now button on the Register page.
- Complete the Contact Information and Account Details sections. All fields with a red asterisk (*) are required.
- Email Address - When entering an email address, please keep in mind that all correspondence with Grants.gov will be sent to that email address.
- Username - Enter a username to log in to Grants.gov. It may only contain alphanumeric characters, question marks, periods, dashes, underscores, and the @ symbol. Your username cannot contain a space, nor can it only include numbers. Select a username you will remember.
- Password - The password you choose must contain at least eight (8) characters including: at least one (1) uppercase letter (A-Z); at least one (1) lowercase letter (a-z); at least one (1) number (0-9); and at least one (1) special character (e.g. ! @ # $ % ^ & *). Do not write down your account information.
- Select whether to subscribe or unsubscribe from Grants.gov Communications. The Alerts are important messages about time-sensitive or major system changes. The Newsletter features training, system enhancement updates, and other resources to help the federal grants community.
- Click the Continue button.
- Click the Send Temporary Code button, then access your email account to access the temporary code.
- Enter the temporary code you received in the email from Grants.gov into the Temporary Code field and click the Continue button.
- Decide if you would like to add a profile to your Grants.gov account or click the Continue button to log in. You need to add a profile to submit an application. After registering, review the Workspace Overview page to learn how to apply for a grant.
Help: Online User Guide
Find registration, search, and application instructions for all users in the Grants.gov Online User Guide.
For detailed applicant information, review the Applicants section of the online user guide.